Here’s the latest batch of news and views about Google+ from around the web:
1. Latest usage figures
Take your pick of the stats from Mashable: Google+ Hits 25 Million Visitors, Gets More Sticky, or from The Wall Blog: Google+ reaches 25 million users. And from a week or so ago, Jennifer Whitehead in The Wall Blog suggests that people aren’t spending that long on the site: Google+ sign-ups hit 10m but people spend just five minutes using it as iPhone app debuts. You might also be interested in this article by Todd Wasserman in Mashable from a week or more ago, which discusses the gender balance of early adopters of G+: Google+ Hits 20 Million Visitors, Gender Ratio Begins To Even [STATS].
2. The basics
Still grappling with circles and huddles? Check out these articles for some good basic instructions about using the new platform:
- Gini Dietrich (Social Media Today): Six Tips for Using Google+ Now.
- More good advice from Amy-Mae Elliott in Mashable: Google+ Tips & Tricks: 10 Hints for New Users
- Mashable seems to be cornering the market in guidelines for the new network, because here’s their Stephanie Buck’s view of making the most of circles: 7 Ways Google+ Users Are Getting More Out of Their Circles.
- And Amy-Mae is at it again with her article: Google+ Chrome Extensions: 5 More Handy Tools
- And let’s not forget privacy, which has bedevilled Facebook over the years. Jay Dunn (Social Media Today points to this useful infographic on http://www.zonealarm.com: A Guide to Taming Privacy Concerns Around Google+.
- What does G+ offer in terms of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)? Read Alex Smith in Social Media Today: Why Google+ is Great for SEO.
- Want to burn some RSS feeds from G+? Read no further than Emily Banks’ article in (you guessed it) Mashable: HOW TO: Make RSS Feeds for Google+ Profiles.
Had a hangout yet on G+? No, me neither (billynomates’ of the world, unite!) but in case you’re right there and exchanging videos with your chums, read this article by Chris Schreiber from Mashable about how G+ may be changing the game for video sharing across the web: 5 Ways Google+ Will Drive Social Video Growth. For another POV, check out another article in Mashable which gives you the info you need to add live video to the hangout: Google+ Hangouts Adding YouTube Live Video Viewing. Or read Amy-Mae Elliott again: 5 Free Tools for Recording Google+ Hangouts.
4. Google+ Button
Read Danielle Leitch’s article in Social Media Today for the technical skinny behind the G+ button and how you can get this working well for you: 5 Things You Need To Know About the Google +1 Button.
5. Comparison with Facebook
This is the one that has been getting the pundits’ juices flowing – will young pretender, G+, deliver a knockout to seasoned pro, Facebook. Here are some views:
- David Cohen from All Facebook thinks that FB still has a few tricks up its sleeve: 7 Facebook Features Google Plus Still Lacks.
- Guest writer, Eran Gefen (again on All Facebook), weighs up the approach of FB and G+ to advertising and the implications for organisations: The New Ad Environment: Facebook And Google Plus.
- Jackie Cohen provides some more analysis: REPORT: How Google Plus Stacks Up Against Facebook.
6. Some extras
If you’re searching to augment your G+ experience, look no further than this comprehensive article by Amy-Mae Elliott in Mashable: 15 Google+ Sites & Services for Power Users.
And finally… Rachel Hawkes, writing in Third Sector considers how charities could be preparing for using Google+: Google+ is going to offer lots of opportunities for charities to connect with supporters.
Phew! Cup of tea time!